Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup). An aromatic broth is ladled over rice noodles, fried tofu, and mushrooms in this bright and fresh Vietnamese-inspired vegetarian pho soup. This is delicious, as good as the best pho restaurant! I couldn't find enoki mushrooms, substituted small brown mushrooms, still good This vegetarian pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) is full of flavor, thanks to spices, herbs and sautéed shiitake mushrooms!
A recipe for Vietnamese noodle soup that's vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free. Made with a mushroom broth, fresh tofu and fried tofu, onions, cabbage and carrots. To make this vegan pho soup recipe, you will need: Veggies: We typically follow the lead of our favorite vegetarian-friendly Vietnamese restaurant here in Barcelona, and add a mixture of baby bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and sliced carrots to our veggie pho. You can cook Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) using 22 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)
- Prepare of Soup Broth.
- You need 1 large of sweet onion peeled and quartered.
- It’s 1 small of piece ginger (about 2 inch) peeled and halved length wise.
- It’s 1 head of full nutmeg (you can also use a small cinnamon stick).
- Prepare 2 clove of garlic.
- Prepare 1 pinch of coriander, cilantro, or basil.
- Prepare 4 medium of carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped.
- It’s 4 cup of vegetable stock.
- Prepare 2 tsp of soy sauce.
- You need of Noodles.
- It’s 1/2 lb of flat rice noodle (I used thicker noodles but use according to preference).
- You need of Toppings.
- You need 2/3 packages of extra firm fried until crispy tofu (you can substitute any protein you desire here such as chicken, beef, beans, etc).
- It’s 4 medium of mushrooms (by preference, I like shitake for asian dishes).
- You need 1 bunch of vegetables of your choice (I used bok choy and borccoli).
- Prepare of Garnishes.
- It’s 1 bunch of bean sprouts.
- Prepare 1 bunch of cilantro (a handful is usually good).
- You need 1 of chile pepper, or any hot pepper, sliced.
- It’s 1 of lime cut into slices.
- You need 2 of stock green onion, sliced into small pieces.
- You need 1 of your favorite sauces such as Hoisin, Sriracha, etc.
But feel free to toss in any other. The national soup of Vietnam is a bowl of rice noodles, fresh herbs, and bean sprouts swimming in a fragrant broth. To make Pho: Cook rice noodles according to package directions. Drain, and rinse under cold water.
Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) instructions
- For the broth:.
- Char the onion and ginger under the broiler until slightly black (about 5 minutes per side).
- Dry roast star anise, nut meg and cilantro in a large pot over medium heat until you can smell the flavors. Stir to prevent burning..
- Once flavors are aromatic, add the vegetable stock, soy sauce, charred onion and ginger. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Reduce heat and keep hot until ready to serve..
- For the noodles:.
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil. Once water is boiled, turn off heat, add noodles, cover and let cook for 5-7 minutes (or follow package directions). Remove from heat, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking..
- For Toppings:.
- Prepare however you desire. I fried the tofu in oil until crispy and cooked the veggies until slightly wilted and warmed throughout. Season as desired, but note the flavor of the broth is the main seasoning for the whole dish.
- For the garnishes:.
- Prepare garnishes and arrange on a plate. Add the desired amount of garnishes to your own dish once meal is prepared and served..
Vietnamese pho is almost always meat based, but this vegetarian pho recipe is a good substitute recipe if you don't eat meat. It has depth of flavor, body in the broth and lots of spicy notes. I'm not going to claim that this is the most authentic pho recipe out there. This unbelievably delicious Vietnamese Pho Recipe is made with a nourishing beef broth infused with fragrant spices, chewy noodles, and tender slices of meat. Filled with the same delicious and authentic flavors as your favorite pho restaurant, learn how to make this Vietnamese Noodle Soup from.